KITAS Bali – Indonesia

Spread the love

If you planning to work in Indonesia or stay in Indonesia for longer than a few months, you need a limited stay permit. (KITAS)

This article will guide you through the options available when it comes to the different types of KITAS available and how to obtain them.

Types of KITAS in Indonesia (Most common)

  1. KITAS sponsored by Indonesian entities (Work permit)

For a KITAS sponsored by an Indonesian entity, or working KITAS in other words, you must first make sure that you have a sponsoring entity that is registered in Indonesia. This entity can be a:

  • Foreign-Owned limited liability company (PT PMA) or Indonesian limited liability company (PT)
  • Representative office
  • Foundation

Secondly, you need to confirm your position at the sponsoring company as the limited stay permit is issued based on the approval of your work permit which requires the details of the job title and location. The length of your KITAS depends on your job title. For example, directors and commissioners are guaranteed to get an extendable 1-Year KITAS. Advisors and Managers can also get a 12 Month KITAS, however, it is subject to the immigration officials’ decision, and often they are granted a non-extendable 6-month KITAS. Sponsoring entity should propose a job title by the regulations issued by the Ministry of Manpower and this depends on the business classification of the entity. As a general rule, the positions that a foreigner can apply for are limited to a director, commissioner, manager, or advisory roles.

  1. KITAS sponsored by Indonesian Spouse

Being married to an Indonesian citizen enables you to apply for a KITAS sponsored by the Indonesian spouse. You can apply for a spouse sponsored KITAS immediately after getting married. However, for a spouse sponsored KITAP (permanent stay permit) which is valid for five years, you need to be married for at least two years. NOTE: Spouse KITAS allows you to live, but not work in Indonesia. If you have a KITAP sponsored by your spouse, you can work in Indonesia as an independent consultant.

  1. Retirement KITAS

If you are at least 55 and don’t plan to work in Indonesia, you can apply for a retirement visa which enables you to live in Indonesia, lease property and enter the country as many times as you like. Indonesian retirement visa is valid for one year, and it is extendable four times on the same conditions as when initially applying. After that, it is possible to proceed with retirement KITAP (permanent stay permit) which is valid for five years.

  1. Dependent KITAS

If you are a KITAS holder and you are planning to relocated to Indonesia with a spouse and children under the age of 17, they can apply for a dependent KITAS which you can sponsor. The duration of the dependent KITAS is the same as your KITAS. However, note that a dependent KITAS does not all to work in Indonesia.

Working KITAS application process in Indonesia

Previously, foreigners who wanted to work in Indonesia had to obtain a separate work permit (IMTA). In July 2018, however Indonesia released a new work permit regulation which replaced IMTA with a notification from the Ministry of Manpower, allowing a much faster work permit processing. Other significant changes are that directors and commissioners who are also share holders in the company no longer have to proceed to RPTKA and non-resident directors and commissioners don’t need a work permit in Indonesia.